Monday, July 22, 2013

Web Comic Review ~ Winters in Lavelle

I've been following this web comic for a while now and I really have to say that it's been something I haven't seen before. It really brings me back to The Chronicles of Narnia in a lot of ways! Hopefully if you're a fan of that, you'll be a fan of this! 



About: Winters in Lavelle is about a brother and a sister who find themselves in a different world filled with very strange surroundings and creatures. Right off the bat, both find themselves stuck in a very odd situation between them and "deer-men"! This also leads to some unknown magical powers that they still have yet to really discover! Siblings Aiden and Kari have to start running right off the bat! They run into a bunch of awesome characters through a series of awesome trials and events! The epic grouping of characters include: Kari, Aiden, Ashton, Xan, Rio and so much more! Honestly it's very difficult to explain what's going on in this comic without giving too much away... So I'm gonna stop here! :P 

Review: 

Pros: This comic will really bring back memories of the Chronicles of Narnia, like I brought up before. Now I don't think the artist made it that way on purpose, and while some people would consider this to be a downfall to this comic I actually think it's something that pushes me to continue reading it. Not that you really need a push anyways, the storyline has enough differences to cover up that Narnia feel as it is and has enough mystery involved that leaves the reader craving for more. Now one of the things that anyone can really appreciate about this comic is that it starts off with a familiar feel that the reader can connect to. But, later on in the story, the plots thicken and a lot of side stories come to life. Really all in all the storyline and writing shows what (I hope to believe) the author was going for. Plus, shipping in this is pretty clear to see... (No spoilers, but GO KARI XX ASHTON (90_0)9  ). The artists name is Kasey Van Hise and she is not just any artist; she actually did graduate from a cartooning program from the School of Visual Arts. I think that her experience really does boost up the comic as a whole (this includes the site layout, site store, pretty much everything). 

Cons: Ah... Now for the cons... Well, the art for this is pretty simple. To me I feel like it could be a pro if she was updating more often. I asked another person (much more of an artist than I am) to read it and they found it hard to keep interest due to the arts simplicity. I find that the art does well (as with most web comics) as the story progresses. I think any reader also has to keep in mind that this story does have a lot mythical creatures which adds much more difficulty on the art part. Also some people may find that in the beginning not much happens to keep interest and it really does look like a spin off of Narnia at first; so most people can find that a turn off really fast. Along with this, the author does not post as frequently as most comics I've read in the past. I check mostly once a month to find if there has been a new page posting, but normally there is only two. The author did mention that a recent tragedy had fallen on her family, so I really do ask that if you do catch up to current pages and are waiting for more, that you please be patient and for that reason. I know most people get antsy when there isn't a due date for pages, I can be one of them at times too, but in this case I don't hold it against them. :) 


Worth the Read: Yes! I do find that this artist puts their heart into the comic and I don't mind the wait for updates. Honestly, I feel that there's enough storyline to really coverup any flaws and also keep me interested enough. I find that if you really like stories about mythology or magic (suck as the Spiderwick series, Arthur and the Invisibles, and, as I've said repeatedly, Chronicles of Narnia) then you'd be in for a treat with this. If you really don't like stories like that, then this comic really isn't for you. However, so far this story seems to really bring in a lot of action despite it's theme. If you're a fan of shipping, this is one you'd really enjoy as well. (Again, no spoilers, but... KARI AND ASHTON!!! "9(0_0)9" ). I have to be honest, I may have a slight bias for this comic because I really do enjoy stories like this. But there are other aspects of this comic that I do take into consideration for this review. It's kind of hard to really go into detail without recking the story thus far. My hopes is that you, the viewers, give it a try and see if you like it. As for those of you art critics, I really don't find there to be such a big issue with it seeing as the level of difficulty the task of mythology gives the artist is extremely high. So all in all, I'd say this is a comic worth reading! 

Nuclear

Winters in Lavelle Comic: http://wintersinlavelle.com/

All rights belong to the author and all rights go to whoever owns the pictures, I OWN NOTHING OTHER THEN THE REVIEW! 
Hope you guys enjoyed this review! If you'd like to follow me, I'm also on Tumblr and Youtube. :) 


Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NuclearSkipper

No comments:

Post a Comment