Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Web Comic Review ~ Homestuck :D

So Homestuck has been around for quite some time now, but it's been getting more and more popular in my city. So that's why I'm doing a review on it today! Hope you guys enjoy! 

About: Now, Homestuck is a very long-LONG-web comic and is a daily task to tend to all on it's own! So the story adds on as it goes, pretty much. But for the most part, this is a story that consists of four kids playing a game that will change time and space as we know it. At first, you think it's just a game that involves the fate of the Earth in the young hands of John, Rose, Dave, and Jane. Oh, but you are so far wrong. It's not even close! The problem with trying to explain this plot is that it'll give too much away and then it's practically pointless for you to read the web comic (which you should!). Now this comic also has a lot of behind the scenes story lines going on. Eternal battles, quests for power, ultimate power, and even alien trolls and zodiac symbols!!! Man, can Hussie (the author) blow your mind! In fact, I was discussing this in earlier chapters with a friend that his writing will really take you on some confusing roads that lead to a mind blowing end. 



Review: Now this is one of the most popular web comics on the internet with over 10,000,000,000 people reading (with probably more than that!). This is a great thing, but at the same time I've seen some people drop out of reading it because they feel it's too common and has been blown out of proportion. However, I'm sure that's just what any writer or comic artist would want. I've been to a few conventions for things like Anime or comic, and I can tell you I've failed NOT to see a Homestuck cosplay. While I don't think it's a bad thing, I also think it loosing some members along the way. HOWEVER I think that this makes up with all the other followers; don't you think? Now, no matter how much of a hard-core Homestuck fan you are, you have to admit that the beginning art was not the most detailed. Of course, this is a comic that actually makes you interact and is updated more frequently than any other comic I've ever seen on the internet. So I feel that with all that plus a great storyline, the art isn't much to complain about. Plus, Hussie gets that much better later on with much more detail involved in the art. I always see this to be a pattern with web comics; sometimes the art has something funny about it, but the storyline is ADDICTING (which is the case with Homestuck, I believe) and other times the art is so beautiful it makes angels weep, however the storyline is only average compared to other great writings out there. I don't complain though, I think Homestuck is amazing. If you've ever seen the review done by MasterYorgi on Youtube titled "Dont Read A Web Comic Called Homestuck" I promise it sums it up so much (and is rather hilarious). I'll put a link at the bottom of the blog; I promise you will not be disappointed with his thoughts. Also, this web comic is rather long! If you've ever visited MSPaintAdventures and simply scrolled through the pages, you'd realize that you would have to give up all you weekends and free time just to catch up (I'm almost there!!!). Some have claimed Homestuck to be the Ulysses of Web Comics, and I can see why. It's still ongoing and pages seem to be uploaded every other day! I take this to be a good thing though, because it does mean that you have something to do and that the comic will keep you entertained. And with a writer like Hussie, being so long does not mean that the story repeats or gets boring. In fact, from my experience, it only gets better. One other thing that I love is that this comic is actually interactive! Some parts give you the chance to even PLAY as a character! It's pretty awesome! 

 


Worth the Read: If you're a gamer and you become a dedicated reader, you will definitely like this comic. It's really well written, despite it's very small flaws. I love this comic and I hope that you guys will enjoy it too. WARNING: The comic is split up like a play (in acts) and the first act is mostly setting up stuff, so it is a tad bit boring. DO NOT SKIP THIS! It does come into play later in the story, and if you keep reading, you will see why. I know that the fandom has mainly revolved around trolls as well, but the link I am giving you is the correct one. I know when I started reading I was so confused if it was the right thing because I didn't see any gray people with colorful horns anywhere. Trust me, they get there eventually. If you can't read on the computer for long periods of time, this may not be for you. If you have Epilepsy, there is flashy light parts in some of the comic. I don't know how severe it is for people with the condition, but I have seen that some people did have seizures reading it. Not completely sure on that one, but it's just a warning label. So is this comic worth the read: overall, yes. But again, it's long so be prepared for the long haul! :) 
                                                           - Nuclear 

Homestuck the Comic: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/

MasterYorgi Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53AHe7yORg  
(Does contain cursing, and is not ment for younger viewers) 


Hope you guys have enjoyed this review, and all pictures were found off of Google so they do not belong to me and I give credit to whoever made them or wherever they come from! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment